Pet Poison Control & Prevention in Winter Haven, FL
Has your pet ever eaten something they shouldn’t have? Regardless of whether or not it resulted in a trip to the emergency vet, it's important to recognize that not every situation like this can be avoided. However, there are plenty of steps we can take as pet parents to reduce our pets’ exposure to harmful substances that they might want to eat. At Veterinary Healthcare Associates, your pet’s health and safety are top priorities, so we’ve come up with some pet poison control and prevention tips. We hope you never have to use our 24/7 emergency services, but if you do, we’ll be here.
Tips for Avoiding Pet Poisons
One of the key principles of preventing pet poisoning is to always err on the side of caution. Even if your pet has never even sniffed a pill you left out or always turns their nose up at chocolate—there’s a first time for everything.
Here are some tips to help prevent first time poisonings altogether:
- Always store your medication in a tightly sealed container in a cabinet or closet out of paw’s reach.
- When using household cleaners, follow the directions closely and keep your pet out of the area until it is completely safe for them again.
- Clean up residue and spills as soon as they happen. Antifreeze, certain beverages like alcohol, and foods like onions, garlic, and chives are all highly toxic and can cause issues even if your pet licks a small amount.
- Keep your food on your plate and avoid sharing any human food with your pet. While some things are safe for them when plain, how and what we cook foods with are generally unhealthy for cats and dogs.
Most Common Pet Toxins
Here are some of the most common toxins to be aware of:
- Human medications. Anti-inflammatory medications, antidepressants, acetaminophen (found in Tylenol and other pain relief meds) and stimulants
- Grapes and raisins
- Xylitol (a common sugar substitute found in sugar-free gum and candies)
Keep all of these items and substances out of your pet’s reach by storing them in areas that pets can’t reach and always make sure to follow the direction when using them. Now that spring is here, fertilizers are being put to use so be aware of keeping your pet out of freshly fertilized areas!
If you think your pet has ingested a toxic substance, please call our emergency vets and staff at (863) 324-3340!